Thursday, March 8, 2012

My First Inkle Weaving

My First Inkle weaving…  


Schacht Inkle Loom - a gift from the Hetter Family


I always wanted an Inkle loom. Thank you to the Hetter family for your generous gift!  I will treasure Mrs. Florence Hetter's inkle loom knowing that she had made beautiful items on it for her family and friends.  I look forward to doing the same for mine. 


My First Inkle Weaving - Close up

I took my first inkle loom class on-line today with Daryl Lancaster through Weavolution, an Internet weavers’ network. 

What a joy!  I can hardly wait to design my own trim, ribbons, bands, belts, shoe laces... the possibilities are endless!

3 comments:

  1. Its beautiful! I love the color combination. Did you use mercerized cotton? What size?
    How did you like the online class format?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words... still working on clean selvedges but I'm getting there! The yarn is UKI 5/2 mercerized perle cotton (2,100 YPP). The color combo was a quick switch. Daryl wanted us to use three colors and, for some reason, I only had two picked out; the #46 Champagne and #60 Duck. I had to grab "something" so I quickly ran to the studio and found #48 Dark Turk. Luckily, they worked together!

    Regarding the online course, I highly recommend it! Daryl Lancaster is every bit as wonderful as I had hoped and she even exceeded my expectations. There was only one electronic glitch but it was quickly remedied with an email copy of the draft. What a wonderful way to learn! We had three people in our class and it felt like one-to-one. Although she obviously could not come around to us individually to evaluate our progress, we each asked several questions and Daryl thoroughly answered each one before moving on to the next section of the lesson.

    Having participated now in both in-person workshops and virtual workshops I actually prefer this format to an in-person workshop since everyting is right in front of you on the screen... no issue with people leaning in and obscuring your view or people whispering or talking over the instructor. It was a very pleasant experience.

    Additionally, Daryl has invited us to continue the dialogue via email if we have more questions. How wonderful is that! I'm so thrilled with this format that I have signed up for another (pick up) class next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the colors you chose. Congratulations on acquiring your Inkle loom and learning a new form of weaving. Thank you to the Hetter family for their generosity.

    ReplyDelete