Saturday, January 7, 2012

Simple but Savory

Shepherd's Pie made with Ground Beef
It’s a week after the holiday season, a week after all the rich goodies and celebratory food and drink.  We have been craving something simple for dinner.  This time of year I like to dig out our favorite comfort food recipes.  Over the last couple of years, we have overhauled our diet to reduce the amount of red meat we consume; however, there are times when a good steak or a hearty shepherd’s pie made with ground beef really hits the spot.   



Comfort Food
So tonight it was oven-baked shepherd’s pie made with ground beef in brown gravy with sautéed onions, mixed vegetables and topped with oven-browned mashed potatoes. 





September Peaches - Summer in a Jar.


The perfect complement to this dish is a jar of home canned peaches from mid-September. 
Clean plate club!!

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm, I can almost taste the goodness. Nice photos. I know I could eat all the peaches myself. In one sitting. Well, maybe two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks... the fluorescent lights made the meat look greyish (ick) but the colorful veggies saved it. Regarding peaches, how about I bring some with me next week?

    ReplyDelete