Monday, January 28, 2013

Wheat Free Breakfast

After reading several books on health and diet -- some of which are very controversial* -- it made sense to try some changes in my diet just to see if any of the health issues I've been experiencing over the last 10 to 15 years would subside... or, better yet, completely disappear.  Diet has always been important to me and I've strived to eat "well" or so I thought.
An elimination diet, eliminating one food item at a time, made the most sense to me.  I’ve been wheat-free for a week now.  Luckily, with the wide variety of alternative flours available these days it’s not as hard as I thought it would be.  The hardest part is remembering to read labels on EVERYTHING even on so-called gluten free products!  It's surprising to learn how many items have some form of wheat in them, including some medications, lipsticks, etc.! Or, in the case of gluten free products, how they are produced in facilities where wheat is also used, thus possibly causing cross-contamination.  Try picking up a standard soup, cereal, or condiment without some form of gluten or wheat in it! 
Fortunately, I cook from scratch and I love fruits and vegetables so finding an alternative to take the place of breads, muffins, or the like, is not that difficult.  Pictured below is a variation of breakfast I’ve enjoyed a couple of times over the last week.  Don't knock it until you try it!!  I have found a new favorite.
It's also important for me to keep my sugar levels steady, so too much fruit or carbohydrates are not so good for me either. For the next 3 weeks (one month total for the elimination diet), I'm steering clear of the typical eggs and toast or muffin, and side of fruit. Instead, I'm including a healthy helping of sautéed veggies and maybe a side of rice with my eggs on the days that I swim.  

Red Bell Pepper, Summer Squash, Curly Leaf Kale, Garlic,
Onions, Baby Bella Mushrooms


Everything on the plate was organically grown except for the summer squash.  The eggs are farm fresh and from my friend Luann’s free-range chickens.  I’ve never eaten such tasty eggs! -- thank you, Luann! 
This breakfast, along with a hot cup of coffee and a glass of apple cider, satiates me for up to four hours. Really!  No blood sugar swings either.

Sautéed fresh veggies with feta cheese and two farm fresh eggsfried in a small amount of extra virgin olive oil.











* Controversial books referred to above:
The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted And the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss, And Long-term Health, by , Thomas M. Campbell II
Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health, by

2 comments:

  1. Breakfast looks wonderful! What greens did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It it was wonderful, thanks! I used curly leaf kale. Sometimes I put a sprinkle of apple cider vinegar on it too.

    ReplyDelete