Monday, December 12, 2011

Color and Baby Cuteness

Swim Picture
Laps in the Chelsea Wellness Pool
For the last two years I have invested 2-3 hours,  3-5 days a week exercising at the local wellness center.  I’m either in the swimming pool swimming laps, participating in water aerobics classes, working out on the equipment floor, or I’m taking floor classes in the studio.    





For at least a year and a half of that time, the bulk of these classes have been taught by a very special young lady who announced earlier this year that she was “officially pregnant” after experiencing two prior miscarriages. 

Stacy, our mother-to-be
 Needless to say, this baby is very special and we are all so happy for our mommy-to-be.  We have been there through the entire pregnancy sharing in her experiences, her doctor’s visits, her ultrasounds and her cravings for pickle pancakes with peanut butter on top.  When asked if she knows the sex of the baby we are told that they have decided against finding out in advance.  So we are all waiting with great anticipation.    

About a month ago, the facility employees threw her a pot luck baby shower and invited her long-time students to participate.  She received many beautiful gifts and commented on being so very blessed.  We feel the same.
About three weeks following the shower, we were once again in the swimming pool as our instructor taught from the deck this time one week before her due date.  The conversation changed focus when someone asked if she is ready for the “big day” which prompted a barrage of suggestions and questions.  She reassured us that the car is packed with all the necessary winter survival equipment, and her bag is packed, etc.  The exchange slowed as she called out the next exercise. 

She started up the conversation again recalling that she and her husband had taken inventory of the clothing they had for the baby and couldn’t help but notice how generic everything looked – in other words cute, even beautiful, but not much color.  One of the class members, a neo-natal nurse, suggested she hang onto the little cap they put on the baby in the hospital because it really helps them sleep.  Our instructor said she was sure she will wish she had more than one hat.  So, I piped up and said, “I’ll you make you another hat.”  Her eyes lit up with delight and she exclaimed, “Oh, I know you’ll make me a colorful one!” 
Baby hat made on my circular sock knitting machine 

My assignment… make a “colorful” but gender-neutral hat.  Since I only had a week before her due date, I got to it right away.  Luckily, I was able to make it and get it to her the day before her due date.  She had the baby early the next morning, December 8, 2011.  It’s a boy!  He was born at 3:45 a.m., weighing in at 7 lbs. 6 oz.
I feel a pair of baby socks coming on! 

The start of a hand knit baby sock


3 comments:

  1. Excellent! Maybe you'll share the pattern with me? I didn't know Comfort DK came in such fantastic colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mary! The pattern called for sport weight and a 72 needle cylinder. I was afraid it wouldn't go through the 80 cylinder so I used the 60 cylinder. The Berocco DK required using the absolute largest stitch size on the CSM that that I could manage. It was tight and required some experimentation but it worked! The pattern is on it's way by email.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post Melissa. I like the colors in the cap.

    ReplyDelete